Wednesday, September 5, 2012

just let me blab

By Friday, I have to decide whether or not I'll be heading to Honduras to teach a high school English language arts class for bilingual students. I would be there 'till the end of June, in time to relax for  a summer before heading to grad school in the fall.

Sounds great, except for a few problems.

I haven't even applied to grad school. If I need to take the GRE, I'm screwed. If I absolutely need to take the 2 classes I'm lacking BEFORE starting grad school, I'm also screwed. Unless I could take them over the summer at CC... hmmm, that might be an option!

And do I even for sure want to go to grad school? for social work? to become a therapist? for kids?

So back to Honduras and my problems there...

I don't speak Spanish.
I don't want to get fat. (It's ok to be honest with this blog, right? I worry about eating starchy food all the time... not only does my body resist it via GERD, but I also just don't want to bloat!)
I don't know if the dynamics will be difficult between me and the other 2 teachers already there. A guy and a girl. The girl is really pretty. Maybe they're already in love. How awkward would it be to jump into that?
I read a few blogs/ e-mails from teachers who had worked there. It seems the two guys had a pretty laid- back attitude and did fine, but some of the girls really struggled with their experience. They found their powerlessness to really help frustrating. They found the heat, the school administration, the overwhelming amount of nasty large bugs and machismo also frustrating. Among other things.

But, as my dear mentor Suzanne pointed out,

hannah, i did read more of the blog and noticed that she said, "honduras has changed me for the better" which is remarkable. even in the midst of her frustrations with the administration, bugs, starchy food, she still says it was a great experience for her. anyway, just a little observation. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment