Saturday, September 29, 2012

Come if you want, get out if you can.

The power is supposedly going out at some point this weekend. I'm hoping it will be tomorrow (rather, I'm hoping not at all!) because I want a shower tonight... and apparently water gets shut off in the process.

Candra says that since I've been here, nothing she warned me about has happened. We hear very few gunshots, the power has only dimmed once, the weather has been tolerably hot, and we have yet to see critters in our apartment (other than an occasional gecko). 

Between hanging out at the "posh" Texaco (complete with air conditioning, couches and an armed guard) and our luxurious apartment-- I'm thinking I got a pretty good deal out of this! 


I'm counting my blessings. On a serious note, Candra saw someone shot-- in broad daylight-- right in front of her, a week after she got here. 

And seeing the emaciated (and abused) dogs around town is heartbreaking. 

My children are a mixed bag. More on them later. 

For now, know that I love y'all! And am thriving in the wilds of Honduras! 

Olancho (the department we are in) is apparently considered the "Texas" of Honduras. Ha ha ha. Of course they sent the Michigan girl here. Candra told me that the motto of Olancho is "Come if you want, get out if you can." Doesn't bode well for us...!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment