Friday, December 7, 2012

Things I Never Hear a Honduran Say

[I absolutely stole this from the Yahoo! Groups Honduras Living page. Not all apply to me but thought I'd share anyway... hope this doesn't give off too much of an inside joke vibe.]

Maybe we shouldn't stand right here.

Please, you only have one item, go right ahead. 

This seems dangerous. 

Keep the change. 

Hang on for a minute, let me put this in the trash. 

Your tail light is out. 

Unsweetened.  (!!!!!)

Filler'up. 

Sure, we have change. 

See, that only took a minute. 

Maybe we should get this fixed. 

This taxi only seats five. 

No mayo. 

Could you turn that down? 

Just a second, let me finish reading this. 



Now some of my own: 

Can I help you with that? 
Do you want me to speak slower? 
Would you mind if I cut in front? 
You may order just one if you'd like. 
Do you want me to translate that? 
Sorry I bumped you! 
We probably shouldn't leave this person lying on the ground. 
What is the most efficient way to do this? 
One price per group. 
Would you like me to explain what you're supposed to do? 
Let me give you a heads up. 
Would you like a smaller portion?
Here we have some unfried things.

MORE! (Thanks Kirsty! ;) )

You are so skinny!
I hate lard and salt.
Let's walk faster.
Ayy yes meeeees!
Would you like water with your meal?



I love all of the Hondurans that I've gotten to know, so of course this is in no way intended to be offensive. I'm sure they'd have more than a few things to say about me! :P 

3 comments:

  1. hahahahha, that's awesome. I have a few more things Hondurans never say:

    "you are so skinny!"
    "I hate lard and salt"
    "Let's walk faster"
    "ayyy yes meeeess"

    We could make a whole other list of what the Vida Abundante administration never says....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking of more. "Would you like water with your meal?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha!!! Yes!

      I was thinking the same re: VA list... actually most of mine came from that context! :P

      Delete