Thursday, December 6, 2012

adventures I would have preferred not to have

Nothing intense, but nothing all that fun, either.

(Inside looking out--the view I did not have during this adventure)

My apartment complex.


The day I visited the farm, I actually didn't forget my camera, but when I tried to open my apartment door to get it, I realized I was in trouble. The lock wouldn't budge. This wasn't the first time-- but it was worse than any other time. 

After a few sharp jabs and jiggles I heard a loud click. Ah ha! I thought to my luckless self. I've got it now!

I had indeed got it-- got it stuck. The key would not be extracted. Nor could I turn it. 

Let me repeat... 

I had jammed my key into the lock. 

Nothing screams "burgle me!" louder than a key in a lock! 

What to do?? It was Sunday. Everyone was either in church or in bed, so not surprisingly, the landlady was nowhere to be found. To cut the story short-- I went on my adventure to Farmland and decided to deal with the Key In Lock situation later. 

Much later. 

I hadn't planned to be gone so long, but we didn't return until around 7:30 PM. 

At this point in my pointless story, I want to pause and say that I have no idea what I would have done if Elba hadn't been there. This girl saved my sorry self!

Elba called our landlady, who teleported during the course of the conversation from Tegucigalpa (three hours away) to Juticalpa (half an hour away) and then to a mysterious location an hour away. Elba was rather unimpressed with her evasiveness. 

"It's not the lock, it's the person using the lock!" Landlady quipped.

If only this were true... however, between the SIX of us, all seemed to experience the same user error. Finally Landlady sent over a carpenter. 

Who arrived on a motorcycle and sported a muscle shirt. Also a wedding ring. He was really nice, actually-- but the muscle shirt was of no use as he, too, could not budge this lock. 

Finally Landlady arrived on scene. Unable to budge the lock herself (just in case, you know, the seven previous attempts had been merely circumstantial evidence) she gave the go-ahead to the carpenter to bust down my door. I was picturing something along the lines of a SWAT move and started to back away, anticipating flying cedar chips and dust. 

Instead, a simple screw driver had him in in under a minute. And the next day my lock was replaced. But this is Honduras, and nothing is ever solved simply-- so it took over two hours to get to this point.

Stay tuned for the next installment in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment