Sunday, October 13, 2013

Why it's worth it

Why the change of heart-- of direction-- of sciences? 

Because of stories like this:

My most worthwhile moment came on a patient assist call, one that's common among the elderly. Arriving at the apartment, we tried the door, but it was bolted shut. We heard the faint cries of a man inside. With no choice, we pried open the door and followed his voice. He was lying on the floor in his office, surrounded by pictures of his wife, who had died a few years earlier. He explained that every night before bed, he would go to his office and kiss her good night. That night, he had fallen and could not get up. After helping him, we provided a temporary fix to his door and gathered our gear to leave.

I hesitated for a moment in the foyer, out of sight. As I waited, I heard him say, "Good night, sweetie. Good night, honey. I love you." Then he kissed her good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment